Monday, December 28, 2009

Dancing Fans...back to my first love

In art/craft that is!
For a while I have been thinking it is time to start another patchwork project. Throughout this year I've made 3 major projects: Bernina Bling and 2 children's quilts, so I didn't abandon quilting altogether. This remark in response to what I get asked every so often: " Don't you quilt anymore?"
Back to the new project. I set up the following checklist for this new project:
  1. This is a bed quilt: so it has to be big enough and fabrics and techniques used have to be appropriate, iow, the quilt is to be washable.
  2. No new fabrics to buy, but I am sure I have to buy wadding.
  3. Not too complex. 
  4. Not boring in either technique or design
  5. Some handwork. We finally solved the problem of lighting in our lounge and I can now stitch while watching TV.
While two days ago I was wondering if I could legally sell EQ6 , yesterday morning I used it to design this new quilt. Dancing Fans is the working title, I may change it yet. However, after having problems opening the program, my project is there but there is nothing in the sketchbook!!! Shock Horror!! Fortunately, the only things I really needed: the template and the layout, I had printed out. I'll have to try to reinstall and if that doesn't work, get to support.

But this is what it is:
A Fan block with 5 blades. The blades are appliqued onto a 6" background.
I am using stash fabrics.
I considered a few different options such as a colour wash quilt , but that would make it too complex.
I made one test block 


The plan is to cut the background fabrics from medium dark-dark fabrics.
Blades from fabrics in my "multi light" box
Applique a quarter circle over the end of the fan blades in the lower left corner.


No comments: