Sunday, August 22, 2010

the fun about making ATCs

A friend asked me: " why would you make beautiful things for strangers?"
My quick reply was: " it isn't just about giving, it is about receiving beautiful things in the mail from all over the world"

But there is much more to that: because ATCs are so small, signing up for a swap of 10 isn't too overwhelming and that is what I have done. The theme is "Leaf".
First I found a piece of peltex (it could have been fast2fuse) in my stash. I had bought some black rayon satin and I fused it to one side.
Next decision: put an all over quilting pattern over the lot or cut them apart now?
I decided to cut them apart. The only guideline in the swap was: think of the composition and I reasoned that by working with a 3" x 4" piece, that would be easier. Because heavy stitching can distort a piece, I always cut a work a bit bigger, then trim it to size nice and square ready to finish the edges.


I had 10 pieces, black satin-ed. I started to free motion some leaves on a couple of them. I added some embellishments to a couple. But soon I was getting bored and needed to look for something different.
Rummaging through my stash I found a piece of rust felt. I cut it into a leaf shape, stitched it on.
Mmmm....what else does it need? Found some thick yarn and stitched that on. I work on a Bernina and have a cording foot: it has a hole in front to feed the yarn or cord through, so that you just stitch and it attached the cord easily. I used clear thread through the needle, but in the past I have done that using metallic or complementary colours.

It still needed something else and I stitched on some "chips". Chips are little piece of stone with holes through them. I have them in a number of colours, I used the pale ones to bring some light in what was a fairly dark composition.

Here are the 4 in progress pieces. I'll take a proper photo when they are finished.
When you do ATCs, you'll have to do a back.
It needs some info on who you are.


 You can print them on card, but I printed these on cotton.
No address as we are changing back to a postbox soon.

 

No comments: