Sunday, October 26, 2014

I've made a start!



The letters are ready to be fused to the background, but are still loose, only pinned.
The process I want to use is to prepare all the elements first, that is, use a paper backed fusible and get each piece like the letters,  to enable me to play with the lay-out before the fusing, a step that cannot be corrected.
And of course, once all the parts are fused on, I can start the stitching.

I will use a kind of machine trapunto I developed for Floral Bouquet,  a project I did for Australian Country Craft and Decorating some years ago.
 

About the thin guidelines on the board: they are black thread anchored onto pins to help me with the lay-out.
The lines mark a 32" x 32" area for the design divided into 4. After I did this, I remembered the art rule, to work with thirds...next time!
 
The excess is not only the quarter inch seam allowance, but the machine trapunto could pull up and distort the fabric somewhat so I need to give myself extra fabric for straightening.
 
This is how the threads are attached to the pins:

 
 
Really love this design board. Well worth all the time and effort it took.
 
I had thought of designing this project on my computer, using EQ7, an excellent program.
But for me, EQ7 works best for patchwork, where the pieces must fit together.
For a project like this, the ACE quilt, the background becomes my canvas, cutting and arranging the fabric elements my way of painting.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: