Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Ready for Contextart

Contextart is a textile event held in the Blue Mountains from 11-16 April.
I was originally booked into the two day workshop Stitched and Collaged Landscapes with Liz Maidment and four days with Fiona Hammond,: Beading Embellishement for the creative fibre artist.
I had met Fiona only recently at the Brisbane Stitches and Craft show and seeing her work in person, I couldn't wait to do the classes. Unfortunately, she had an accident and I had to choose another workshop. Not easy, with only 2 days left to source any material I might need.

I picked http://contextart.com.au/shop/jewellery-interior-design-and-more/ with Teresa Dair, because all I had to bring was knitting needles.
Knitting? Moi???? Had to borrow the needles, mine had been thrown out years ago.
But hey, it might open another door for me, I might love it, I might see possibilities in it, who knows.

I did consider Ken Smith's class, Bracken, Lichen and Fungi.
I probably could have gotten a sewing machine through the local Bernina shop, I probably had in my stash everything on his long materials list, but with only two days left in which I had to get ready, including getting the SASI (Somerset Art Society) newsletter out, have a hair cut and try to get some internet.

I am with Westnet and on Friday morning,  now five days ago, we, here in Esk,  were  not only without landline nor ADSL, but my  mobile phone service was also very limited. I received emails, but could not send and could not open attachments, let alone use the phone to tether to my laptop. Yesterday morning I bought pre-paid Telstra wifi.

Boo to Westnet, Telstra and Optus who did not work together to avoid this disaster for our area and/or provided better support.




No comments: