Sunday, March 27, 2016

A leap of faith into the washing machine

Talk about mixed metaphors!



This is 'From my garden, with love'
There is a long history with this quilt, suffice to say I got the book published with Martingale "That Patchwork Place' in the nineties, after self publishing a different version when I couldn't find an Aussie publisher, 



 The book is no longer in print, although there  may be copies still floating around....

Back to the story: the quilt was made nearly 20 years ago, travelled to Alaska US for an exhibition when I was teaching there in 1999 with Cynthia Morgan, came back to Australia,  travelled again to the US for the gorgeous photography for the book, returned home  and went onto the bed in my spare room.

When a window was left open, it rained on the quilt and in spite of always pre-washing my fabrics, the red of the sashing bled into the blocks.

I tore out my hair, stamped my foot, thought unkind thoughts about the person who left that window open, but wasn't game to try anything to get it out, fearful to make it worse.

But it has to take pride of place at my exhibition next week and really, was looking a tad tired.  I bit the bullet, put it into my washing machine, added diluted Orvus Paste which had lurked in my cupboard for many years and I not only crossed my fingers, I crossed my legs, eyes and arms as well. Which worked!

First the water that spun out was a bit pinkish. Oh-oh what did that mean?

But the quilt looked OK when I pulled it out of the washer.  I put it over two wires on my Hills Hoist and not only was there no further running of colours, the previous pink blotches over the pristine cream had come out too! 

I breathed again....

 I got it in just before a rain storm struck, laid it on the bed with the ceiling fan on to make sure it got perfectly dry and now I am making two rod pockets that have  to go on  the long side of the quilt, so it can be hung 'landscape' and not 'portrait' because of where the picture rails are in the venue. 

It can't believe how fresh and new it looks!

The quilt blocks in this quilt use a technique called 'Shadow Applique' which reflects the layer of sheer organza that covers the appliquéd squares. 
I love this technique because,  while the appliqué is done by hand, you only use a tiny running stitch, much easier than needle turn, which is traditionally used for hand appliqué, 
Will put a How To on this blog soon.






No comments: