Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Good progress

Here are the elements pinned to my design wall. 



 OK, I am still pining for an on point design, but I underestimated the background fabrics required and I would have needed additional fabric. I really can't  afford the time it would set me back waiting for that, so it will be a straight design. 

At the moment I am waiting to hear from VT whether or not they will provide the templates to square off the rings before adding a border. 
This can be done with template cut pieces or I can simply appliqué the rings onto the borders. Either will work. I might even use the one-piece arc piece to cut fusible, trim the seam allowance off the rings and machine appliqué them as per usual, using a blanket stitch, same as I will use for the flowers I will appliqué. 

I like the idea that I use what is left over of the Bali Pops, either or both in the binding or maybe an extra border.  

Here is the first completed ring:



The project needs four of these, which will be rotated in the quilts as per the picture above.
I love scrap double wedding ring quilts  ( or any quilts for that matter) because of the visual movement they provide. They make your eye go around the surface. I hope the shop keepers and quilters also like it. 

I also enjoy the technicality of this design and it was always one of my favourite workshops, as people would come to the workshop full of doubts that they would be able to master what does look so complicated and then walk out confident that they too can stitch a Double Wedding Ring quilt. 

I used the Bali Pops in the order they came. I could have maybe created more of a colour wash effect, but I loved the look of the Pops as they were arranged and decided to go with that. I was two colours short, in other words, 2 of the colours are used in more than one colour way, but I challenge anyone to pick them!

I think tomorrow I have to work on the SASI newsletter, the Somerset Art Society, but hopefully I can do at least another ring...or even two....

No comments: