Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quick and easy pointed fan blade


Here is a quick and easy way to make the points for the blades.
Blade template has to have a straight top.
Fold in half lengthwise, right sides together. Press.
Stitch the top as per sample.
Turn right side out. Push the point out. Use the pressed centre line to make sure the points is in the centre.
Press.

You can now stitch blades together. I don't know about you, I avoid needle turn applique like the plague, but this type of applique I can handle!



What is this?
When you use Fan blocks that you intend to rotate,the blades of one block can meet the quarter circle seam.
I made a trial block and found that didn't happen, it was maybe 1/8"  out.
That, to me, is a problem, because as the blocks were joined, they would look like I was a sloppy quilter who just couldn't be bothered to have those points meet.
The solution is to redesign the block so that the points are offset, rather than meeting. 
Here is how that would look.
I've taught classes where this "not meeting" really bothered some of the students and of course, if that's you, this method wouldn't suit you. However, I like the fact that I don't have so many points to meet when joining the blocks. 

2 comments:

koolkatquilting said...

Hi Hetty,
This is a BIG project! You have heaps more patience than I do. I could never make anything as intricate as this! It will be amazing. I am glad you are doing what makes you feel good! Keep it up!

Hetty van Boven said...

I have time now, Kathy, that's what makes all the difference!
Thanks for visiting!