Saturday, January 30, 2010

Triskele

Designing a colour scheme or palette isn't something I can do in an abstract way.
And even if I could, I wouldn't necessarily have fabrics in those colours. While a design such as Fandance needs to be worked out exactly, works such as this one can be created intuitively.
Remember how my patchwork fabrics are organised in boxes by colour?
Well, those are the cottons. I also have a couple of huge boxes with satins, laces, velvets, silks etc.
There was no other way to do this: all the fabric had to be pulled out of the boxes and I separated those colours and shades I thought would work. I had already decided to use soft colours to represent the dreamy quality of the piece.
 

The fabrics on the left have a gold cast, but are in fact a true grey.
The one in the left bottom corner is what is left of a fabulous beaded evening jacket I bought in an op shop for less than $15! I am so hoping I have enough to use that for the spiral that will become the focal point.
Close up: 





 This was the first Triskele (triple spiral) I considered. I printed it out tiled over 12 sheets of paper and stuck them together.
 





This one is simpler, but has as much or more impact. It will be placed on top of the background and then the other elements will be placed over that in such a way, that the triskele will still not only be visible, but pull everything together.

I decided to make it 30" and at this stage, I don't know yet what the base/background will be, but probably it won't be canvas.
What I like about the Triskele is that this design has been used throughout the history of mankind, with lots of meanings at different times and different civilizations.
I love to use symbols.


No comments: